Re: CULT: southern survival (was Trial garden form

The reason I mentioned Atlanta is because I thought I heard afterwards
that cultivars were so bad at the 1992 AIS convention, "everybody" said
"never again".  Not sure I read that, more likely to have been gossip.
And I no longer trust my memory.

I had just joined AIS in 1991, so didn't consider going to that
convention, tho I have since wished I had.  Will dig out the articles
about convention gardens and see what they say.  Will also dig out the
Region 7 Irisarian garden tour articles.

We do have nematodes relevant to irises that thrive here, or at least
they thrive farther south.  Not sure they are in this area.  They are
the predatory nematodes that eat iris borers!   None that damage irises
that I know about.

<I think they
                   get nematodes and such as well,  but it did occur to
me that there are AIS
                   members down thataway, not all of whom are growing
nothing but LAs, and I wondered
                   about AIS conventions, as in how far South have they
been held. I see here in
                   a copy of the 75th anniversary Bulletin--p.26--that
in 1979 the AIS convention
                   was held in Huntsville Alabama, and in 1992 it was in
Atlanta.

                   Is there anyone on this list who went to either or
both of those meetings and
                   can you remember anything useful about how the
gardens looked and what was
                   doing well?

                   Cordially,

                   Anner Whitehead