Re: CULT: HYB: AIS 1992 Atlanta convention

Linda Mann wrote:
>>> Plus, remember all the complaints about damaged plants at the recent
Oklahoma convention after plants were hit with a typical late
winter/early spring killing freeze?  Irisarians unfamiliar with our
climate effects blamed it on soil amendments.  <<<
I attended that convention and spoke with the garden owners (at least two or three of them)
about what was added to the soil. From what I can remember, they all used bags of a
locally-produced soil amendment. (This might be in the archives since I might have written
about it but I have no interest in spending my time looking for it. ) I did obtain a bag
and read  the ingredients and remember that it 'seemed' alright for bearded irises but would
kill most beardless irises with the calcium content or whatever. For instance, we saw nameplates
for Siberians and no irises. Just those little grave markers. We did see some LAs that were off to
the side of one large garden near a tree line. They must have escaped the tan stuff...the soil was
also tan.
Some of the TBs did well and some performed poorly like at all the other AIS conventions. There
is another Oklahoma convention coming up in a couple of years so it will be interesting to compare.

Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, The Siberian Iris
Berlin, New Hampshire - USDA Zone 3
Siberian iris list archives: http://www.hort.net/lists/sibrob/
(1996 - 1998 messages not archived)