RE HYB: Trial Gardens

From: "Kathleen Devlin" <iris@dancingmeadows.com>
Subject: Re:  [iris] Trial garden form: acquisition

In fact, our club site could also  host the contact list of hybridizers and
trial gardens, in addition to  providing a downloadable evaluation  form.

www.irisclub.org

Kathy

Kathy, your website is dynamite and it brings up another "factor" - Public
Gardens that are maintained by clubs!
The Iris Club maintains seven Iris Gardens at the Detroit  Zoo,

These public gardens , like your Zoo, are a common thing by clubs all over
the states. St. Louis area has the Missouri Botanical Garden maintained by
Greater St. Louis Iris Society, Southview School by Kirkwood Iris Society,
Jefferson College by JeffCo Iris Society.  I know of at least a dozen other
"public iris beds" that are maintained by groups and it appears that they would  be
the likely spots for Trial Garden activities.  There are already many  iris
members involved in all of these.

I know  a "standardized form" would vary in meaning among hybridizers,
iris-buying public and us "Iris Addicts"  but at least a simple form  that can be
modified for special needs (like Youth members reporting back  to the
hybridizers who generously sent guest irises to a school, etc. or  Convention Guest
Iris gardens reporting back to the Guest Iris Chairman who then  sends to
hybridizers-know that procedure is RARELY done!) certainly would be  useful.

Now don't deluge our favorite hybridizers with  requests, but what kind of
form do they use for evaluating their own  seedlings?  They must all use
something unless their memory is better than  the average bear!

If some kind of coordinated effort on this "Trial Garden" project were
launched, then that information could be gathered without annoying hybridizers
with requests or wasting time of many people.  The more "ideas" that are
bantered around here, the better.  Although the individuals involved in  this
discussion are few, the LIST is large so there are more out there who could  add to
the long-term usefulness of a project of this type!

Rita  Gormley
Gormley Greenery
Cedar Hill, MO
AIS Region 18, Zone  5