From: owner-iris@hort.net
[mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of
GormleyGreenery@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 12:48 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] RE HYB: Trial Gardens

From: "Kathleen Devlin" <iris@dancingmeadows.com>
Subject: Re:  [iris] Trial garden form:
acquisition

In fact, our club site could also  host the
contact list of hybridizers and trial gardens, in
addition to  providing a downloadable evaluation
form.

www.irisclub.org

Kathy

Kathy, your website is dynamite and it brings up
another "factor" - Public
Gardens that are maintained by clubs!
The Iris Club maintains seven Iris Gardens at the
Detroit  Zoo,

These public gardens , like your Zoo, are a common
thing by clubs all over
the states. St. Louis area has the Missouri
Botanical Garden maintained by
Greater St. Louis Iris Society, Southview School
by Kirkwood Iris Society,
Jefferson College by JeffCo Iris Society.  I know
of at least a dozen other
"public iris beds" that are maintained by groups
and it appears that they would  be
the likely spots for Trial Garden activities.
There are already many  iris
members involved in all of these.

I know  a "standardized form" would vary in
meaning among hybridizers,
iris-buying public and us "Iris Addicts"  but at
least a simple form  that can be
modified for special needs (like Youth members
reporting back  to the
hybridizers who generously sent guest irises to a
school, etc. or  Convention Guest
Iris gardens reporting back to the Guest Iris
Chairman who then  sends to
hybridizers-know that procedure is RARELY done!)
certainly would be  useful.

Now don't deluge our favorite hybridizers with
requests, but what kind of
form do they use for evaluating their own
seedlings?  They must all use
something unless their memory is better than  the
average bear!

If some kind of coordinated effort on this "Trial
Garden" project were
launched, then that information could be gathered
without annoying hybridizers
with requests or wasting time of many people.  The
more "ideas" that are
bantered around here, the better.  Although the
individuals involved in  this
discussion are few, the LIST is large so there are
more out there who could  add to
the long-term usefulness of a project of this
type!

Rita  Gormley
Gormley Greenery
Cedar Hill, MO