RE: Trial garden form: acqusition

Paul Archer wrote:

>>> AIS essentially would have control of sending out the forms and who gets them (the hybridizer) and
contact lists of hybridizers and Trial Gardens.  I like that! Does anyone have any ideas pertaining to the
AIS seeing Trial results for Registration purposes or posing any problems .....or even interest you at
all. <<<

If you are seriously thinking about the American Iris Society taking on a task like this, the proper
channels have to be followed and that starts with having AIS approval. Meaning that someone has to
present it to the Board and have a workable plan.  Of course, that would necessitate someone actually
being at the convention Board mtg. (or Fall Board Mtg.) and being prepared for lots of questions,etc.
My personal feelings aside, that may be a bit naive. I think drawing up a form is the least of the obstacles.
Besides having a ready supply of trial gardens, you need hybridizers willing to send their sdlgs. for
evaluation,etc.

I personally feel that the informal way that some hybridizers do it now is easiest,etc.Granted, it is
not perfect but gardening is a fickle business.

Of course, hybridizers breed irises that do well in their own gardens. I have no problem with that...the
main problem is that being an AIS judge, I agreed to grow and evaluate new intros. (read: pricey intros.).
I am just discovering  that many of my fellow judges don't do that but they vote the AIS official ballot. How
reliable are the 'winners'? I think we know the answer. Just look at the numbers that vote and look at the
winning totals.

Note bene: No one is more concerned with gardenability of irises than those of us in USDA Zone 3.

Cheers,

Ellen (feeling the effects of Katrina up here next to the Canadian border)

Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, The Siberian Iris
Berlin, New Hampshire - USDA Zone 3
~~
Siberian iris list archives: http://www.hort.net/lists/sibrob/