RE: Trial garden form: acqusition

Ellen Gallagher <ellengalla@yahoo.com> wrote:
If you are seriously thinking about the American Iris Society taking on a task like this, the proper
channels have to be followed and that starts with having AIS approval. Meaning that someone has to
present it to the Board and have a workable plan.

Ellen et al:

AIS are us. When matters such as trial Gardens are discussed in this group I can assure you that there are board members who hear about interesting discussion threads. After all we have about twenty posters and about 700 lurkers. Lest we get a big head, I happen to know that a question of trial gardens has already been presented to AIS before we started our chat. Unfortunately the committee working on it has not had time to even be fully organized. But I can assure you that many of the points in our discussion will be seen by that committee. We should all remember that AIS is many of the members of this group and much more. The reason why many things dont happen is not enough people volunteer for filling jobs that are needed to make a system work. If AIS (remember thats also us) would decide to reinstate official trial gardens they would still need the people to collect forms, create a website, survey gardens, or whatever the structure would turn out to be. I would suggest the
 limiting factor is not the idea but finding people who would follow through. Even Anners minimalist proposal would require her moderator.

Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, The Siberian Iris
Berlin, New Hampshire - USDA Zone 3
~~
Siberian iris list archives: http://www.hort.net/lists/sibrob/