rot and varieties

As I read your various posting about rot and problems in growing Best Bet and Edith Wolford, I become more appreciative of my conditions. I have to pay for water for irrigation; can't count on Mother Nature. When I want to develop a new section of the yard for planting iris, it takes both a crowbar and a shovel. I'm right next door to a gravel pit and I figure that my yard is 3 parts rock to 1 part soil. Winters are normally under snow cover. This group talks about blooms in their yards at least a month before I have any hopes of anything showing buds. Despite benign-neglect growing conditions, most of my iris keep acting like weeds including Edith Wolford. I have only had one iris rebloom and it was Best Bet. The grasshoppers chew on the iris leaves but that is the only iris-related insect problem I've noticed. The deer eat my tulips and chew on the the trees, but ignore the iris and daffodils. Guess I should be counting my blessings instead of cussing about needing to go tinker with the drip system.

Charlotte, northern Utah, zone 4