AIS:Awards:Symposium

In a message dated 8/31/2005 3:50:39 P.M. Central Standard Time,
gschubert@earthlink.net writes:

<<I do have perhaps half of the top 100 and the vast majority of  the top 20,
but I always wondered about some even in the top 20 that looked  pretty darn
plain, at least in my garden, compared to the  rest.>>
We're allowed to vote for 25.  I usually mark under 20 when I go  through the
list.  I've been raising modern irises for 20 years.  Had  about 600 in
Alvaton and have since grown another 300-500.  Quit  counting.

I've grown most of the ones on the list.  Many or most have  bloomed.  But I
don't vote for them unless they 'perform' in my  garden.  There are many
beautiful irises that bloom in my garden every  year, but most don't perform.

Many of my irises fit the 'pretty face' category.  Wish I could vote  for
them but I just can't!  As an example, I have XYZ.  (hope there's  not an iris
with that name?!)  XYZ is a beautiful iris and it blooms each  and every spring.
 It usually has 1 perfect stalk.  Show bench quality  but good in the garden.
 Flawless.  But I would NEVER vote for it on  the symposium.

I've had XYZ for 5 or 6 years.  And each spring I get the 1 bloom  stalk.
Each summer it increases just enough to stay alive.  After all  this time I have
less than 1 fan per year.  AND it still only blooms 1  stalk per year.  (XYZ
is NOT it's real name . . .) I will not vote for  it.

Then there is ZYX (think they're related) .  This one has three  or four
stalks each year, but they never grow more than a couple of inches out  of the
fans.

So long as there ARE irises that perform to required standards in my  garden,
I can't vote for those that do not.  Some that perform  reliably?  Skating
Party, Song of Norway, Strictly Ballroom, & Kevin's  Theme.  There are others.

Many of my good irises are no longer on the ballot.  Once upon a time  we
could write those in, but no more.

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
_www.thegardensite.com/irises/bridgeintime/_ (http://www.thegardensite.com/i