Re: Re: CULT: Trial Garden

Last year we had the spring regional meeting at my home town. Our club had dis-banded in 2003 but we had committed to host it and we had the guest plants growing. We had the main garden at a local nursery. I acquired the job of keeping it weeded. I also did the labels.

After the first year I made the report on how they were growing. I had four choices: Excellent, average, poor and dead. The 218 iris took me 2 = hours to do. I could not do it the next year because of medical problems. I did do a few fan counts by request. I had two stints put in the week before the meeting and did not get the final weeding done.

I do a little hybridizing dealing with just a few hundred seedlings. Photos, paperwork and evaluating them is very time consuming. I can not imagine doing 3000 seedlings. Most would get a two minute look and then marked to destroy. I keep to many now for a second look. Running out of room to grow them approaches quickly.

Instead of a trial garden I send iris to the National and Regional meeting. Very easy to run short on stock this way. I will only send iris to individuals I know and trust. That could include people I have met on the internet.

Mike Greenfield
Zone 5b
SW Ohio
Region 6