Re: rot and varieties

<< As I read your various posting about rot and problems in growing Best
Bet and Edith Wolford, I become more appreciative of my conditions.
 I'm right next door to a
gravel pit and I figure that my yard is 3 parts rock to 1 part soil.
 Despite benign-neglect growing conditions, most of my
iris keep acting like weeds including Edith Wolford.
Charlotte, northern Utah, zone 4 >>

I garden in  the same area as Charlotte (Cache Valley in northern Utah), so we share the same climate and pest conditions (though I have been less troubled by deer than many others hereabouts). However, there is a considerable difference in our soil conditions. I have been favored with a fertile, though stony, silt loam with both good drainage and water holding capacity in the root zone that is rated as one of the best agricultural soils in this area.

As I have mentioned in previous discussions of EDITH WOLFORD's performance, she was a complete dud for me. In eight bloom seasons she never had more than 3 bloomstalks, which only reached regulation TB height twice. Perhaps there is some validity to the contention that EW performs better in leaner soils.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (USDA Zone 4)