RE: Re: HYB: Edith Wolford (Stairway To Heaven)

Char Holte <cholte@wi.rr.com> wrote:
<< Hi,
The first two years my STH was great, then it
died. I have not disturbed the clump and I am
waiting to see what happens. >>

I had a somewhat similar experience with STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN. I obtained it from the introducer (Cottage Gardens) the year after it was introduced, and it grew fine for me through four bloom seasons. Then it suddenly went into a steep decline for reasons I cannot explain (none of the disease or pest problems I am familiar with, no Roundup drift or anything similar). I thought for sure I was going to lose it, but it just barely hung in there and slowly recovered. However, it has never completely returned to the level of vigor it displayed before its misfortune (which occurred in 1999).

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (USDA Zone 4)