Re: TB: EDITH WOLFORD

After the 30s this morning it was in the mid-80s this afternoon. A very dry crystal clear day where there's not so much to inhibit heat transfer. There's a distinct chill tonight.

Quite a mix of experiences here with EW, as well as a range of reactions to its looks. I've read in several places that, despite many efforts, nothing quite looks like it. I think I read on this list that there are a bunch that are roughly similar, that FROM A DISTANCE, for example, looks like it, from a distance.

I'm going to try the lean soil approach with EW and hope for the best.

Kent
Sanpete County, Utah

DFerguson@cabq.gov wrote:

Ice already? Yikes. And you were just roasting in an oven up there. I expect it will be a just a tease, and it will be warm again for a while longer. You can keep that cold air up there. The high 80's feels cool enough for me this time of year, and the nights better not be getting to freezing anytime within the next two months, or I'll be in trouble.

I've had good luck growing Edith Wolford in New Mexico, and it flowers very well. It has not been a particularly fast grower, just steady and reliable. I don't dig and divide it, it seems to like to be left alone for a long time. I expect that in your climate, it should do well. Seems that I've heard most of the bad reports from damp climates, especially where it is hot and muggy in summer.

Dave