Re: AIS:HYB:Test Gardens

In a message dated 8/26/05 1:01:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jeffwiris@yahoo.com writes:

> I received the same impression as Ellen did during the tour of the Loomis
> Garden during the Denver AIS Convention in '98. As it was the only occasion on
> which I have ever visited that garden, I do not know whether whatever
> conditions or problems were involved have been overcome, but the experience did
> leave me with some reservations about the credibility of the Loomis Test Gardens
> evaluations.

I was also disappointed in the conditions at the Loomis Garden in 1998.  We
had previously sent irises there and even received an award, but sent no more
after finding out that many irises had rotted because the park insisted on
extensively watering the grass and irises got watered along with the lawn.  That
is the danger you face when sending guest plants to be tested.

Dorothy Willott