Re: REB: Immortality

Annette, I didn't <intentionally> put the horse apples or bark mulch
right on top of the rhizomes, but as you can see from the photos posted
on iris-photos, some of it rolled or gradually rearranged itself on top
of them.  Mostly nature, but some weed pulling also scattered it.

When I added the manure, I tried to just pile it in a big "bunker"
around the clumps.  About a foot or so wide horse apple layer, then
mulched the entire bed with a layer of bark.  The heaped up manure has
decomposed so that it is now level with the rest of the bed.

I noticed as I was poking around trying to get the photos that it looks
like there was some hay bedding mixed with the horse apples, so some of
this must have come from the barn rather than out in the field.  In
other words, unweathered.

The granny rhizomes are now pretty much completely covered with a thin
layer of manure/bark, but the rhizomes of increases are more or less not

Warning to newbies reading this - <don't try this at home> <g>.
Especially not on clay.  My soil is very gravelly, mostly loam where it
isn't rock, so is excessively well drained.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8