HYB: Seed count pattern

In an earlier post, I noted that I had a good rate of "takes" this year,
although there was a period of a week or so when nothing took.   My harvest is
almost over  --  about a half-dozen left to collect  --  and in looking at the
seeds drying I have noticed something else:  There is a big difference in the
average seed per pod between the crosses made before the hiatus and those made
afterwards.  The early ones generally produced fewer than 20 seeds.  The later
ones have run 30 - 55 or more.  At this point, I haven't the time to check out
which varieties were involved and see if there is any similarity to previous
years, but the difference is marked.

Temperature is 96 F here at 4:20 p.m.  The humidity is so high that my
thermopane windows are fogged.

Went to water a distant seedling patch early this morning and had to spend
half an hour doing emergency weeding before I could water.  New seedings were
completely covered and hidden by weeds.  The patch had been weeded clean by
trowel a month ago and Preened.  95% of the weeds are of one
pre-emergent-immune variety, but this kind of growth results from this year's
combination of excess rain and heat.--  Griff