Re: Moving in October

In a message dated 8/2/2006 9:08:27 P.M. Central Standard Time,
charlie.lincoln@gmail.com writes:

<<Its about 80 miles form our current location, so I'll transport  them in the
trunk of the car. >>
Charlie, I'm in zone 6 so our conditions are quite different.  Don't  know if
what I have to offer is valid.

I've planted bared root in oct/early nov without problems.  In 2003, I  moved
to my current spot and couldn't get the man with the tractor to understand  I
needed to plant THEN.  It was late (Oct) before I could start and I  planted
right up till Thanksgiving.

If planted bare root, the rhizomes can heave out of the ground with a
freeze.  This can be deadly as the rhizome will be left sticking up in the  air.  In
parts of the country where the ground freezes, we typically check  the
planting regularly and 'stomp' irises back into the ground so they make  contact
with the soil.  Most winters it's not a problem.

I once moved an entire planting, 200 or so clumps, in March during a  snow!
We cut about 8 inches out from the clump and lifted the whole thing  with a
shove.  We had a pickup truck and rowed the clumps up in the back of  the
pickup.  We were about 5 miles away and it took several  trips.  We'd opened up
trenches in the new garden with a tractor and just  set the clumps down into the
trenches and pulled the dirt back around  them.  Most bloomed two months later.

If you  don't cross them, you'll won't have to plant them! Bah! Humbug!! Hot
summer!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris  Garden@website: