HYB:2006 Report

2006 Hyrbidizing records.

Crosses=125
Takes=58
Seed=2794+  (one late pod left to harvest)

Takes= 46% (approx.) Close to normal

Average seed per cross= 48  = definitely higher than recent  years.

There were a few multiple pods (per cross) but not many.  I don't want  to
bloom 150 from the same cross again!  Most are from individual  pods.

Some that had to be brought in early had few seed.  One red bee child  X
REMARKABLE only produced 3 seed.  While PURE AS GOLD X SUMMER RADIANCE  only had
6.  Stalks rotted at various points.  They may all be bad but  I'll plant them
anyway!  LUNAR WHITEWASH x a white rebloom  seedling produced only 9 seed and
the same was true with HONEY HOUSE X  SHIRE.

Seedlings from the 2005 crosses are growing well.  Fairly well cared  for
considering the summer.  It easy to tell that the LUNAR WHITEWASH X  ROMANTIC
EVENING children are NOT strong.  I planted 56 and now I'm wishing  I'd saved the
space for a stronger contender.  Maybe they're just  slow!   Certain other
crosses are growing exceptionally well.

A cross that broke off last year (2005) at about one month now has 24 very
strong children growing in the bed and more left in the pot.  The pink one
from (2004) sprouted about 7/100 and I didn't expect more from this  one.

First time I remember feeling overwhelmed by the seed count!
If you  don't cross them, you'll won't have to plant them! Bah! Humbug!! Hot
summer!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris  Garden@website: