Re: HYB:2006 Report

Betty, you're killing me.  I must be working too hard.

  Seed=2793    Can you believe it? one seed difference.
  Crosses=409
  Takes=99
  Bee Pods=5

  The cross with the highest seed count was THORNBIRD X MCKELLARS GROVE at 81 seeds, but CUT CRYSTAL X RASPBERRY WINE had a pod as big around as a tennis ball and yielded only 75 seeds.

  I guess we'll have to put our husbands to work to plant all these seeds, eh?

  christian
  ky
Autmirislvr@aol.com wrote:
    2006 Hyrbidizing records.

Crosses=125
Takes=58

  Seed=2794+ (one late pod left to harvest)

Takes= 46% (approx.) Close to normal

Average seed per cross= 48 = definitely higher than recent years.

There were a few multiple pods (per cross) but not many. I don't want to
bloom 150 from the same cross again! Most are from individual pods.

Some that had to be brought in early had few seed. One red bee child X
REMARKABLE only produced 3 seed. While PURE AS GOLD X SUMMER RADIANCE only had
6. Stalks rotted at various points. They may all be bad but I'll plant them
anyway! LUNAR WHITEWASH x a white rebloom seedling produced only 9 seed and
the same was true with HONEY HOUSE X SHIRE.

Seedlings from the 2005 crosses are growing well. Fairly well cared for
considering the summer. It easy to tell that the LUNAR WHITEWASH X ROMANTIC
EVENING children are NOT strong. I planted 56 and now I'm wishing I'd saved the
space for a stronger contender. Maybe they're just slow! Certain other
crosses are growing exceptionally well.

A cross that broke off last year (2005) at about one month now has 24 very
strong children growing in the bed and more left in the pot. The pink one
from (2004) sprouted about 7/100 and I didn't expect more from this one.

First time I remember feeling overwhelmed by the seed count!
If you don't cross them, you'll won't have to plant them! Bah! Humbug!! Hot
summer!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: