Re: TB: standards

  I was wondering if anybody would think of flatties besides me.  I think some flatties may have the weaker midrib, like AMARYLLIS.
  I think I've heard of the Nebeker guy, I'll have to try to get in touch...
  does anyone have an e'mail addy for him?

Kent Appleberry <appleb@cut.iserver.net> wrote:
  I doubt many would like floppy standards. Floppy falls aren't all that
popular either. Maybe floppy standards have their place on a flattie, though.
Don Nebeker, at the local iris sale on Saturday, had some photos of flatties
that are showing up in his seedlings, one of which was quite pretty, a blue
purple with six falls and six contrasting orange/yellow beards. No floppy
standards there, though, since there aren't any standards. I've seen photos
of a quasi-flattie that looks like a magnolia--I'd like to try that one someday.

I've also noticed some small standards relative to falls in some photos. It
looks odd to me, but I suppose one could develop a taste for it, since there's
nothing inherently ugly about it. Maybe. Or it could catch on as a novelty.
It probably doesn't conform to the Platonic Form of Iris, as outlined by the
Philosopher Judges in the judge's handbook. (A little joke there for those of
you who had to sit through a philosophy class in school.)