Re: HYB:embryo rescue

Christian; many people in the Iris Society have done
embryo culture through the years. It is a great way of
ensuring success with crosses that would fail to
germinate. Growing the embryo is the most difficult
part. What one has to worry about is contamination and
having fungus or bacteria competing with the embryo on
the media. Excising the embryo under a controlled
airflow hood is ideal, but I know of a class of eight
year olds that made their own laminar flow hoods from
shoe boxes and had about a 60% success rate of growing
embryos. It may be like computers you have to find an
eight year old that can show you how to work it.