Re: HYB: Embryo culture

I did a little embryo culture in the '70's while working in a  veterinary
research lab. Having access to sterile glass wear and other lab  equipment was a
great aid. I don't recall using a sterile hood, although one was  available. I
used the medium Randolph published and although I had to  substitute for one
chemical, growth was good. The biggest problem was freeing  the embryo from
the endosperm. As I recall a razor blade was the best  tool. Tweezers were used
to hold the seed while the endosperm was shave off a  bit at a time until the
embryo was exposed. A needle was used to lift the embryo  and transfer it to
the medium which as in test tubes. I do remember that  the embryo could be
somewhat damaged by the process and still grow. I remember  slicing a number of
embryos laterally and culturing both halves. Both grew fine.  My conclusion was
that the process was entirely too much work for conventional  TB seeds.
In the iris world arils and aril-breds can be embryo cultured to avoid  the
dormancy factor. Johnny Rich did all of her seedlings as well as Ben Hager's
arils. All done in her kitchen.
Fred  Kerr
Rainbow Acres