HYB: embryo rescue-more

So everybody is still out there!
  I will admit to being quite wet behind the ears in iris, so if something has been published twenty times and quoted a hundred and I still missed it I will have to apologize.
  Someone mentioned doing some reading on the subject, does anyone care to recommend a title?
  I am operating under the assumption that the seeds in question do not have endosperm, however the pictures that I found online showing all the pieces and parts didn't look to me like what I have seen in 'presumably viable' or 'obviously defective' seed in my home lab.  So my assumption that the endosperm is missing may be flawed.
  Partly because of this disconnect with the pictures I am confused about what the embryo is.  I know I can scrape black/brown/or pink seed coat off and find white under that- is the white stuff the embryo?  I know that if I disect a seed longitudianally I usually find large hard white core and in the center of that core I find a softer line of tissue that looks similar to the newly emerged root of a one day old germinant.  I have been assuming that that white line in the middle was itself the embryo.  Some of the RHYTHM and LITTLE FREAK seeds that have been disected have a hard brown coat, nothing, and still this small rootlike line in the middle of the seed.
  Someone straighten me out if I've got my biology backwards, because if the nothingness is the absent embryo further discussion of embryo rescue-culture processes are not the solution to my problem.
  Presuming I do not have my biology backwards, my next question is why did Walter say he didn't think the embryo had to be especially immature for it be able to be 'harvested'.
  And after harvesting the embryo is accomplished I want to know exactly what would have to be done to be able to grow this embryo to a plant in a 'kitchen' environment, which Fred Kerr indicated he knew had happened.