Re: HYB: embryo rescue-more

Christian - I think these folks have already answered all of those
questions, except for the parts of the embryo and what conditions are
needed to grow the embryo once it's in the growth medium.

This is what I got from what has been posted in reply to your
questions.  If I've misunderstood or if there is something missing,
maybe someone can fill that in:

<Someone mentioned doing some reading on the subject, does anyone care
to recommend a title?>

AIS Bulletin articles were cited that give detailed information.

<And after harvesting the embryo is accomplished I want to know exactly
what would have to be done to be able to grow this embryo to a plant in
a 'kitchen' environment,>

Make some sort of sterile enclosure in your kitchen, prepare sterile
nutrient agar growth medium, sterilize the outside of the seed, cut out
the embryo using sterile tools, put the embryo into the growth medium.
Several folks have posted details on what that growth medium is.

Once the embryo is in the sterile growth medium, I assume it grows the
same as any germinating seed - coolish temperatures (around 60oF?),
alternating daylight and dark, until it makes some green leaves and can
photosynthesize on its own.  If it's inside a petri dish, it will stay
sterile as long as you keep the lid on the dish.

Try doing a Google image search for <seed cross section>

I found this diagram of a monocot seed (corn) that I think might help:

<home.earthlink.net/ ~dayvdanls/monocot_seed.htm>

I'm not positive, but I think that the outer fleshy layer on a fresh
iris seed that dries to become the wrinkly reddish brown layer is on top
of the seed coat - the part of the seed coat that inhibits germination
is the very hard layer underneath that.

In the figure, I think the embryo is made up of the tiny little bits
labeled coleoptile, leaves, shoot, and root.  If you can't get copies of
the Bulletin articles, maybe dissecting some corn seeds and matching up
the bits and pieces with this diagram would help you figure out the bits
and pieces you are seeing in the iris seeds.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8