CULT: rot in iris heaven?

The AIS Bulletin came.  Several articles caught my interest this time,
but was most amazed by the George Waters "Food For Thought" article.

Enough to cheer the heart of this pollen dauber to know that even in the
heart of iris heaven, there may be a few folks who might enjoy some of
my tough kids, tolerant of neglect and "bad for iris" weather.

I think it offered an interesting contrast to the <very> nice article by
"full time lurker on iris-talk" hybridizer Shannon Hiatt.

Bruce, are you lurking?  Not sure why including the article made you
uncomfortable.  & I offer you a challenge - see if the best sanitation
you can provide will prevent leaf spot in irises growing in a garden
location with naturally rich soil, poor air circulation, high humidity,
and no sun till noonish.  Maybe a creek bottom where fog forms on cool
days.  Maybe at Will Plotner's place?

Key point in Bruce's editorial comment at the end of George Waters'
article.
"Every garden plant needs certain care; some may be "easier" than
others, but <the rewards may not be as great!>"  [my <> in the last
part]

All depends on what rewards an individual gardener - masses of bloom in
a difficult year or drop dead gorgeous individual blooms in a good year.

At our big, hugely successful summer rhizome sale this year, I overheard
two obviously well to do ladies discussing whether or not to stop and
look at what we had for sale.  One said "no, unless you just have the
most perfect location for them, they just rot".

The Bloomsday Festival is a big event, hosted by the Friends of the
Garden, University of Tennessee Trial Gardens, cover charge just to get
in, so only serious gardeners show up at these things.

I guess there will always be this tension between survival and beauty,
with each grower and dauber/hybridizer choosing their own balance
between the two.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8