Re: AIS: HYB: Geo. Waters' Bulletin Article

I have to agree with Ahners comments about Georges
article. I believe one of the problems in perception
of the culture of tall-bearded Irises is that most
often they are seen growing in beds by themselves and
not in perennial borders. This tends to give an
impression among general gardeners that they are
difficult to grow with other plants. The problem is
not the Iris but the microclimates and culture. TBs
are disgustingly easy. I suspect this is one of the
reasons they sometimes meet with disdain among some
plantsman. Because of the lack of challenge,.anyone
can grow them. The trick is to choose a good location.
Full sun is best, trying to grow them in a shady
garden may work but you set up just one more obstacle.
They prefer alkaline soil. They can grow in acid soil
but many studies in the past show they loose
considerable disease resistance in acid conditions.
Therefore as I pointed out in an article in the
bulletin recently a garden filled with azaleas,
rhododendrons and other acid loving plants will
support Siberian Irises but not be ideal for TBs.
Anyone who saw Schreiners display beds would say they
were great plants for the perennial border with
peonies, poppies, lupines, etc. etc. But ironically
the Siberian Irises which flourish and are considered
ideal perennial border plants by many general
gardeners today were not flourishing at Schreiners.
There are many parts of the country where TBs and
Siberians can be grown in the same garden but they
prefer different conditions. To expect that any plant
will grow anywhere without consideration of its
requirements is unrealistic. George is a very
knowledgeable plantsman yet I think he was expecting
too much. For many people even in his area TBs are
perhaps too easy. But we cant expect that success is
always inevitable.