Re: AIS: HYB: Geo. Waters' Bulletin Article

In a message dated 8/27/2006 4:22:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

<<This tends to give an impression among general gardeners that  they are
difficult to grow with other plants. >>

And I think there is some truth in that impression. I have not found  them
easy to grow in perennial borders. I think they are challenging;  indeed, I
think perennial borders are challenging.

<< TBs are disgustingly easy. >>

This may be the case somewhere for some fortunate people growing  some
cultivars, but a substantial body of anecdotal evidence suggests the  experience is
not universal by any means. Were it so we'd be overrun with the  things, I'd
say, not wringing our hands at so many famous ones we've lost  totally over the
years.

<<I suspect this is one of the reasons they sometimes meet with  disdain
among some plantsman. >>

I suspect they are met with disdain by some plantsmen for the same  reason
modern tea roses, daylilies, dahlias, and other intensively hybridized  garden
plants are met with disdain: snobbery about flowers which are  perceived to be
grown for exhibition, often by people who grow only those  flowers, especially
if they are huge flamboyant over-the-top flowers  in loud colors with
outrageous markings and the occasional  provocative appendage or rude odor. There is
a lot of smug prissiness in  some horticultural circles, and anything flashy
that is bringing a lot of  joy to the presumed horticulturally unsophisticated
is likely to get  snickered at. You are correct, of course, that in some of
these  circles great prestige accrues to the successful grower of difficult
plants,  especially if these plants are rare, and dinky. Tony Avent and
Christopher Lloyd made their names by flipping the bird publicly at just this  sort of
roundhead attitude, although each man in his own way has  been every bit as
prone to preciosity.

<< To expect that any plant will grow anywhere without  consideration of its
requirements is unrealistic.  >>

Yes.

<<George is a very knowledgeable plantsman yet I think he  was expecting
too much.

George Waters has been involved with irises for decades and I  think he
simply got pluperfect sick of ugly mess.  I believe many people reading his article
will find something  immediately recognizable there.

I am not, however, prepared to accept George  Waters' presumption that
selecting for aesthetic features over  generations inevitably leads to a decline in
resistance to  pests and disease. I don't even think resistance is a stable
characteristic in an iris. Everything is flux as Heraclitus said.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA