Re: AIS: HYB: Geo. Waters' Bulletin Article

Anner;

I think you have put your finger on a key point. You
say perennial borders are not easy. I agree. The
easiest way to grow most plants is in a monoculture.
That is until a pest or disease come along and then
look out. Microorganisms undergo so many generations
in such a short time the monoculture represents and
opportunity to specialize in that one plant. This is
why after three years many gardeners either have to
fumigate or change the soil in their Iris beds.

But borders are a mixture of plants and present
different types of problems. If adjacent plants are
not congenial and/or require different types of
requirements, one or the other will suffer. I have not
found TBs to be any more difficult than other
perennials.

I do think George makes some good points. Most
perennials today are experiencing intense breeding
projects. Plants are often grow under ideal conditions
to get stock up quickly so it can be put on the
market. Many cultivars probably never experience
difficult growing conditions until they reach our gardens.