Re: REB: more Immortality

Oh my, not true.  Way back when this discussion group first started, I
had tried to grow IMMORTALITY and it died (never established).  Folks in
this forum couldn't believe I couldn't grow IMMORTALITY, so I was
innundated with starts of it (several of which also died), until I
someone sent me 7 or 8 starts of it and I got 3 of them to grow.  After
Lloyd acknowledged that it sometimes was fussy about being transplanted,
I was inspired to keep trying.

Now I have it planted 6 different places, in all but two of the variety
of wretched microclimate/soil conditions here.  It's thriving in 4, not
tried in one, not happy in one (too much competition from tree roots and
companions).

After getting it to live and grow, the next challenge has been to get it
to bloom reliably.  This spring, it bloomed its head off, & I got <lots>
of pods from it.  I keep experimenting with various
amendments/treatments trying to figure out what makes it bloom.  One
year, the first clump bloomed 5 times from spring to fall. Best/most
frequent/reliable bloom seems to be in the clumps that don't get full
sun, have more organic matter/loam/less clay/gravel, and have had huge
heaps of fresh horse manure piled around them (not on top of them).
Extra mineral fertilizer hasn't improved bloom frequency, tho total lack
of fertilizer pretty much eliminated it.

Most reliable rebloom?   The ones I feel I can depend on to bloom
sometime other than spring are IMM, VIOLET MIRACLE, BELVI QUEEN and
(best/most prolific/easiest grower of all) HARVEST OF MEMORIES.

<I thought you could not grow that thing, Linda.

                        Did you feed it or something?

                        What is your most reliable rebloomer there?

                        Anner Whitehead
                        Richmond VA USA>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8