Re: AIS: HYB: Geo. Waters' Bulletin Article

I have both a monoculture bed and a border. The border
has Peonies both tree and herbaceous, alongside the
tall-beardeds. The back of the border has Lilacs,
clematis and spuria irises. Those are the principle
components. of course there are lots of other things
such as silenes, hardy geraniums, poppies, hardy
salvias, Camassia, brodeas, yuccas, asclepias
tuberosa, hardy hymenocallis, Crinums,  Lycoris, etc.
etc. I have to admit that the last few years I have
not had time to do much with maintenance. Of all these
plants the TBs are the first to show deterioration
without cleanliness and fertilization. But even though
the border is not exciting like it used to be I have
had years when it was spectacular when I was fertizing
and watering as needed. Like so many things, gardening
rewards hard work.

The border was never the focus of my garden. When it
was at its peak I was much more interested in SDBs and
MMBs and At one time I grew about 1500 cultivars.
These were in island beds and borders with
sempervivums, pansies, creeping phlox, and scores of
rock plants. At peak bloom the dogwoods and redbuds
would also contribute and people often came for garden
tours. Like any snobbish plantsman I enjoyed the
flamboyance but relished the tiny specialties like
gentians, Erythroniums, Cypripediums, Calanthes, etc.
Most people coming early in the year hardly noticed
the 200-300 TBs.