Cult: Geo Water's Bulletin Article

I was also very impressed with this article and the title the editor
gave it, "Food for Thought"  It is certainly that.
As an amateur  hybridizer, I am very conscious of necessity of combining
beauty and vigor in selecting seedlings.  Substance is also of primary
importance to me.  I want a uniquely beautiful iris that will grow well,
multiply readily and bloom over a long period of time.  I believe that
most iris lovers and most hybridizers desire those qualities and strive
for them.  I have grown a number of seedlings that have impressed me
with their outstanding beauty.  About half of those were weak, either
died,  dwindled or were dug, and no longer exist.  The other half are
growing vigorously in my selected seedling garden.
However, I have a unique climate in which I have been notoriously unable
to grow the Dykes Medal winners.  I fear that these beautiful babies
that are so well adapted to my climate may be complete failures if asked
to grow where Dykes Medal winners do well, which is probably about every
place else.
Therefore, I believe that test gardens in different climates would be
valuable to me.  The American Rose Society has them.  Why can't the AIS
do it?  I find that growing roses is far more hard work than growing
irises.  They not only have to be watered, fertilized, and weeded; they
have to be pruned.
Perhaps we will find that there are Southern irises for the hot climates
and Northern irises for the cold ones.  California irises grow much
better for me than those from Oregon.
Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9