Re: Re: Anthocyanin-sidetracked

The dominant amoena gene has little or perhaps no effect on the aphylla  dark
pigment either. A cross of an Emma Cook pattern to a Schreiner black
produced on two bitones out of a cross of more than 200 seedlings. F2 seedlings
involving the bitones produced a few bitones but mostly dark selfs.  Crossing
these bitones back to Emma Cook patterns produced pretty much the  same result. I
didn't keep statistics so I cannot say there were more  bitones in some
crosses than in others.
Fred Kerr
Rainbow Acres

iris  DIGEST           Friday, August 1 2008   Volume 01 : Number 637

Somewhere  I remember a discussion of Iris aphylla having different
anthocyanin pigment  pathways that might not be inhibited (or at least not fully) by
the "I  factor", which as I understand it, is the typical dominant white -- I
think of  it as "I" for inhibition of anthocyanins. Another gene in this series
is the  I(s) <sorry I can't figure out how to make the "s" tiny> which is
responsible for the dominant amoena pattern -- think inhibition of anthocyanin
in standards. These "I" genes are at a different locus (chromosome location)
than the plicata / glaciata series, so they are inherited independently of
The reason why I mention Iris aphylla, is because that species is  commonly
found in the ancestry of black irises. So it wouldn't be surprising  at all to
find anthocyanins coming from these irises, that the I factor  doesn't inhibit.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of this phenomenon  for you, but I think
that's what Neil might have been referring to.

And  to further muddle things up for you, I've got what should be glaciata
seedlings in a second generation from KUPARI (a glaciata white Iris pallida)
crossed with Iris suaveolens. I say "should be" because suaveolens has
contributed some pale anthocyanin pigmentation that is showing up only in the  falls.
When I had first discussed this with Neil, years ago, when we were only
seeing the first generation, we talked of it as a "dominant amoena" gene -  like
I(s), but now that I've been working with it for a little longer. I'm  starting
to think of it differently. I'll see if I can find a picture and  repost it
to Iris-Photos. So you can see what I mean.

I hope I've  helped clear the fog more than I've made it foggier <grin>
Take care,  Tom
FanHouse Fantasy Football today.