Re: Re: Anthocyanin-sidetracked

BAIS  ????

--- On Fri, 8/1/08, irischapman@aim.com <irischapman@aim.com> wrote:

From: irischapman@aim.com <irischapman@aim.com>
Subject: Re: [iris] Re: Anthocyanin-sidetracked
To: iris@hort.net
Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 7:50 AM

Black iris  have a special  dark pigment comming from Iris aphylla. It
would appear that this involves Anthrocyanin vascular intrusions (AVI)
These involve clusters of anthocyanin in globules  with a protein base.
They form clumps inside the cell vacuole and help make  the anthocyanin
much darker. A deep purple when  no yellow in flower, black when it
also occurs with  yellow.  For more information on this look at my
articles in BAIS on this topic.

The "I" factor will not remove all the anthocyanin in these
(dark purple or black), but several dosages of "I" will remove it.

The AVI can ocur in cell vacuole without the water soluble anthocyanin
in the vacuole. this can cause a dusky colouration as in standards of
Ziggy, where I have found AVI but no purple cell sap.  This could
possibly be connected with "green" iris.

Chuck Chapman