Re: Cult:[Historic] (Sans Souci)

Scarlett,

The entry for SANS SOUCI in the 1939 AIS Checklist indicates that it was first offered by Van Houtte, a prominent Belgian nurseryman, in 1854. It is listed without attribution to a specific hybridizer, but a cross-reference states that "(Van Houtte) irises marked 1854 are probably Lemon seedlings". (Lemon was a French nurseryman who raised and selected bee-pod seedlings - his most famous selection in MME CHEREAU).

The color/pattern description code in the 1939 Checklist indicates that SS is a medium intensity variegata. There is also a note that SS had become confused with HONORABILE in commerce.

Jeff Walters
in upstate South Carolina
(USDA Zone 7b)