Re: Summer Rebloom Triggers

An update on observations.

I noted the start of rebloom stalks on queen Dorothy after three nights of minimum temperature above 15C. No response from Immortality. Queen Dorothy has been in bloom here for a week or so.

About 10 ago we had the 6th night in a row of minimum temperature above 15C. Y have ben taking photos of Immortality in three different locations every couple of days. Two days ago Immortality showed pregnancy hook and today showed peak of bud emerging.

After monitoring the relationship between temperature and rebloom last year it seemed to me that there was a definite correlation. Fo some time there were enough nature leaves in both clumps of QD an Imm to support rebloom. They both needed their trigger. For QD it seems as if 3 nights above 15C and for Imm 5-6 days.

What seems to be happening is the onset of flower bud differentiation, which for summer rebloomers then proceeds directly to flower stalk WITHOUT need for vernalization., or daylight specific triggers.

Also observed, at the same time flower bud differentiation occurs seems to also be trigger for daughter rhizome start. I'm speaking of how new daughters shout up between mature leaves on plant. This was observed on QD at time of flower stalk initiation and I'm now seeing this on various plants throughout the garden.. This is on all types, SDB, TB, IB etc. It wasn't seen several weeks ago.

This may also explain why TB's don't do well in colder climates. There may not be sufficient warm nights to trigger flower bud and daughter plants.

Chuck Chapman