RE: Re: Anthocyanin-sidetracked

I'm assuming that it is. The flowers can only be so dark with AVI. the difference between red-black and purple-black would be in intensity of the anthocyanin. If it can be traced back to aphylla then it very probabply has AVI. Without AVI ther is a limit in how dark the anthocyanin can be. Dark purples also have AVI. Aphyllas don't have much yellow pigment, so can't be black. It takes AVI plus deep yellow to get really black iris.

To check this out, put a black petal into a bowl and pour boiling water on it. It may take several tries, but when you get all the anthoycyanin out the petal that is left is deep yellow-gold. I havn't tried it with a red-black, but have done it with a dark red and the same thing.

Chuck Chapman

Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:26:55 -0700
From: "Francelle" <fjmjedwards@qwest.net>
Subject: RE: [iris] Re: Anthocyanin-sidetracked

I am following this thread with more interest than understanding. I am well aware that what our eyes see as black is merely an intensification of dark pigments. I have two sets of what I consider black seedlings, but one is from predominantly purple pigments and the other is predominantly red. I understand about clusters of Anthrocyanin globules in black irises. Those
would be the purple-blacks, I believe.  Does the same thing occur in the
red-blacks? I am posting on Iris Photos pictures of one of each of these

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9