From: irischapman@aim.com <irischapman@aim.com>
Subject: RE: [iris] Re: Anthocyanin-sidetracked
To: iris@hort.net
Date: Monday, August 4, 2008, 12:50 PM

I'm assuming that it is.  The flowers can only be so dark with AVI. the
difference between red-black and purple-black would be in intensity of
the anthocyanin. If it can be traced back to aphylla then it  very
probabply has AVI. Without AVI ther is a limit in how dark the
anthocyanin can be. Dark purples also have AVI.  Aphyllas don't have
much yellow pigment, so can't be black. It takes AVI plus deep yellow
to get really black iris.

To check this out, put a black petal into a bowl and pour  boiling
water on it. It may take several tries, but when you get all the
anthoycyanin out  the petal  that is left is deep yellow-gold. I havn't
tried it with a  red-black, but have done it with a dark red and the
same thing.

Chuck Chapman