Re: Anthocyanin-sidetracked

The reason you aren't following is because I haven't concluded or proposed anything at all.  Just reporting an observation for perusal and furthering our informaton.  For such a little Iris it sure is causing a lot of trouble.  Being tall myself I find sometimes the smaller ones of us actually do cause more commotion <wink>.

I'm simply stating that suaveolens also apparently contributes (hidden) plicata genes that can dominate over the glaciata genes.  This would potentially muddle your findings and data some if you didn't know it was there.  Much in the same way the amoena gene would (and did for you) if one didn't know it was there.

Previously stated by Chuck in this forum... and I quote for reference...

"The glaciata , which is four sets of  the plicata glaciata gene , also
has no anthocyanin. The removal of anthocyanin this way  produces an
exceptional clean flower.  But an exceptionally clean flower is not
necessarily a glaciata.

A glaciata  flower crossed with a wwww  will produce all offspring with
anthocyanin. For example a white glaciata X  recessive white, produces
all blue offspring.

The glaciata is a recessive of a recessive (plicata) and has absolutely
no effect on pigment unless  paired up as one of four plicata genes.
And only shows glaciata  when in a set of four glaciata genes. So is of
no interest unless you are working plicatas. Of course working a line
of glaciatas to produce  exceptionally clean non anthocyanin flowers is
a possibility, except that glaciata plants are weak, have poor
branching and  usually not great flowers. But these are not all minor
problems. There are now stronger and better formed SDB and IB
glaciatas and eventually perhaps also with TB, but not so far. All TB
glaciatas I have grown here have quickly disappeared.

The proper test to see if a plant is a glaciata is to cross with a
plicata. All seedlings will be plicata if it is a glaciata. Of course
some of thes plicata could be glaciatas.

It actually it is even more complicated, but no further information for
this post, I sure it is confusing enough as is.

Chuck Chapman"

END OF QUOTE

Hence his appropriate last statement in the quote.  It held true.

Paul Archer
Indianpolis