Re: Summer Rebloom (not)

Chuck, a quick search yesterday didn't turn up <any> IMM fans with that many leaf blades. A very few with 7 (5 green plus two dead, one on each side), but most have only 2 to 4 green leaf blades showing.

Sorry - not much help here I'm afraid.

Have you heard offlist from anyone else counting leaf blades on IMM in various climates?

From a distance, most mature leaves in the IMM clumps look a bit sun bleached (slightly yellowish) in contrast to some of the surrounding seedlings (most of which are half IMM, HoM, VIOLET MIRACLE, RENOWN, or VIOLET MIRACLE, TWILIGHT FANCIES, DOCTOR ALAN, half west coast/Oz).

In addition to better color, many fans of seedlings also have more leaves/fan. A lot of these of these either had maiden bloom this spring or have yet to bloom, so are still in juvenile enthusiastic mode.

It's been raining a lot more this summer than last, but still quite dry. Enough to keep the shallow rooted annual grass green and growing, but deep rooted perennials thirsty. I will do my best to get some kind of IMM experimental plot set up before spring where I can provide water and nutrition to try to get some idea of what individual fans do. If nothing else, I can try a start or two in a big bed of Miracle Gro potting mix.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8