TB or Med: question regaurding green colored iris

  • Subject: TB or Med: question regaurding green colored iris
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 19:12:54 -0400

With TB the "green" iris are mostly a greenish yellow. My own Frontier Lady (won most original colour in Florence 2005) has lime green veins on the falls, thus not a solid green, but proably the closest to true green on a TB.

On the Medians, a different story. There are a number of near green cultivars. The historic 'Green Spot' had a near green spot. There are a number of cultivars that are near green but no emerald or grass green. Snow Tree an SDB has green eyelash lines. Olive Garden is basically an olive green My own Limesicle is a pale lime green, solid coloured. "Wee Granny Smith" is basically the green colour of, a Granny Smith apple.
If interested I could post photos on iris-photo.

Chuck Chapman

   * From: Karen Breker <kabreker@hotmail.com>
   * Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 13:27:12 -0500

I would like to pick the brains of the multiple iris experts in this group, in hopes that one or two of you can help me. I am sorry as I know you are busy
this time of year.
I recently was telling a friend that iris come in such a wide variety of
colors that I was sure I could help her find what she was looking for.... unfortunately she wanted a green iris. I hope that I am wrong, but I have never seen a true green, I am afraid I only saw one green iris in person and it was yellow with a faint green cast, and the pictures I have found have been similar. I understand that you probably will not be able to give me the name of a lime or emerald colored iris; however, I am hoping to be pointed in the
direction of your opinions of the best greenish iris.  If anyone has a
suggestion for me to look up, I would be ever so grateful. I live in zone 3
Minnesota (which might affect the answers given).
Thank you for any advice,
Karen Breker
Zone 3 Hill City, MN