RE: TB or Med: question regaurding green colored iris

  • Subject: RE: TB or Med: question regaurding green colored iris
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 22:16:59 -0400

There is one more type of green, found only in SDB. This is the green
amoena with a red beard.  the falls are a  sherbert lime green.Very
striking. I have been working on this for about 15 years, off and on.
I just can not get a good form on  the flowers. I had one a few years
ago that was almost good enough, but backed off introducing it.  When
form is decent colour is weak, when colour is good, form is weak or
beard ends up being yellow. Hopefully I will have a new batch of this
colour bloom next year. Perhaps  this batch will have one with a good
form and colour.  I crossed my almost introduced seedling to a number
of seedlings carrying this colour, so here is hoping.

By the way, today I had my second SDB bloom without going though a cold
period (known as vernalization). Grown under lights during winter and
planted out this spring. Never has even seen a frost.

Chuck Chapman