Re: How does one decide

  • Subject: Re: How does one decide
  • From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 20:38:12 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I might be able to help as I just did this myself this past Spring.  I had the
added crimp that obviously Bearded Iris don't like to be moved in the Spring
and I had very limited time to do it.  I moved from North Carolina to Indiana
(a thirteen hour drive) and will never do it again to the extent I did it this
last time.

I had quite a bit less plant material as yourself.  I decided to get rid of
cultivars that just didn't grow very well in NC or when I had them in IN.
That wasn't many.  I also considered those that even though as many times as I
had tried had never set any seed as pod or pollen parent.  That's a hard one
to do if it is one you just love.  If that is the case and its and excellent
grower and other great attributes then keep it.

What was hard was culling the unbloomed seedlings.  As we in the US remember
we had that hard freeze Easter Weekend a couple of years back.  That set the
seedling evaluation progress back as some were on maiden bloom.  But it tested
them for frost tolerance and back then I had made observations and notations
and cullings even though they didn't bloom.  I still had two crosses totalling
about 150 plants and all beautiful clumps and only a few had bloomed after
being in the ground three Springs.  The rest of the plants I had decided to
take had been dug and these were left.  So with these unbloomed seedlings, I
selected for foliage characteristics and rhizome pattern.  Did the foliage
stand up strait, color (blue-green), blade width, ect.?  When I dug each on up
did the rhizome pattern develop uniformly and space each new plant properly?
I ended up keeping one bloomed plant and one unbloomed plant of each cross
that met these criteria.  After all that digging I honestly didn't care much
anymore.   That much digging will give you perspective, guaranteed!  Don't
forget I still had yet to replant all of them!

Since I had to move them in the Spring I also decided to take three rhizomes
of each plant and make sure that they had increases forming as well.  This was
to make sure that I didn't lose any particular variety because it rotted.
Some rot did occur as the bloom stalk aborted.  Emergency rescue measures were
taken on some where at least two rhizomes had been affected.  I only ended up
loosing one plant through the whole ordeal and it's replaceable.

I also had help from my Mother and the ENCIS who helped dig and label.  Any
surplus rhizomes left over they were free to take for themselves or club
sales.  4 days of digging and four days of planting.  Thanks again to the club
and those who helped!  All I can say is make sure it stays organized, have a
plan and get help, as much as you can.

Paul Archer
Indianapolis, IN  Zone 5