Re: How does one decide
- Subject: Re: How does one decide
- From: Paul Archer <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 20:38:12 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
I might be able to help as I just did this myself this past Spring. I had the
added crimp that obviously Bearded Iris don't like to be moved in the Spring
and I had very limited time to do it. I moved from North Carolina to Indiana
(a thirteen hour drive) and will never do it again to the extent I did it this
I had quite a bit less plant material as yourself. I decided to get rid of
cultivars that just didn't grow very well in NC or when I had them in IN.
That wasn't many. I also considered those that even though as many times as I
had tried had never set any seed as pod or pollen parent. That's a hard one
to do if it is one you just love. If that is the case and its and excellent
grower and other great attributes then keep it.
What was hard was culling the unbloomed seedlings. As we in the US remember
we had that hard freeze Easter Weekend a couple of years back. That set the
seedling evaluation progress back as some were on maiden bloom. But it tested
them for frost tolerance and back then I had made observations and notations
and cullings even though they didn't bloom. I still had two crosses totalling
about 150 plants and all beautiful clumps and only a few had bloomed after
being in the ground three Springs. The rest of the plants I had decided to
take had been dug and these were left. So with these unbloomed seedlings, I
selected for foliage characteristics and rhizome pattern. Did the foliage
stand up strait, color (blue-green), blade width, ect.? When I dug each on up
did the rhizome pattern develop uniformly and space each new plant properly?
I ended up keeping one bloomed plant and one unbloomed plant of each cross
that met these criteria. After all that digging I honestly didn't care much
anymore. That much digging will give you perspective, guaranteed! Don't
forget I still had yet to replant all of them!
Since I had to move them in the Spring I also decided to take three rhizomes
of each plant and make sure that they had increases forming as well. This was
to make sure that I didn't lose any particular variety because it rotted.
Some rot did occur as the bloom stalk aborted. Emergency rescue measures were
taken on some where at least two rhizomes had been affected. I only ended up
loosing one plant through the whole ordeal and it's replaceable.
I also had help from my Mother and the ENCIS who helped dig and label. Any
surplus rhizomes left over they were free to take for themselves or club
sales. 4 days of digging and four days of planting. Thanks again to the club
and those who helped! All I can say is make sure it stays organized, have a
plan and get help, as much as you can.
Indianapolis, IN Zone 5
>From: Impressive Irises <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>Sent: Aug 8, 2009 6:50 PM
>To: email@example.com, "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
>Subject: [iris] How does one decide
>Les and I are going to be moving in a few months, and either winding up
>or selling the business here by the end of the financial year, primarily
>because of health reasons. We're buying a property of one acre in Mt
>Pleasant about 20 min from here, a small town between the Adel Hills and
>the Barossa Valley, and leasing the propagation areas here until next
>May. So now I have to choose a sample of everything I want to take with me.
> From those who have down scaled before, how do you decide what to take
>with you? We currently have about 1250 bearded iris, 250 beardless iris,
>and 550 daylilies, plus a large breeding program, mainly bearded iris
>but also some good daylilies and Pacific Coast iris, and of course
>there's the several years' worth of seedlings that are yet to bloom..
>Culling out about third of each is easy, but then where does one go?????
>The parents one wants to use, old favourites, new stock that you haven't
>seen much of, things that you think might do much better in the new
>environment, concentrate on keeping seedlings???????
>We bought a lot of new stock in the last year or two, before we realised
>how serious Les' health could be and my knees got a lot worse,
>fortunately we've time to see most of it bloom before having to finally
>decide, but it's the culling the numbers by more than half is what I'm
>having problems contemplating.
>Any thoughts from someone who has done it before would be appreciated.
>ph/fax 08 8389 4439
>PO Box 169
>Charleston SA 5244
>To sign-off this list, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the
>message text UNSUBSCRIBE IRIS
To sign-off this list, send email to email@example.com with the
message text UNSUBSCRIBE IRIS
Other Mailing lists |
Author Index |
Date Index |
Subject Index |