CULT: Weed block cloth in raised beds?

  • Subject: CULT: Weed block cloth in raised beds?
  • From: Jean Richter <richter@eecs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:37:33 -0700

We're in the process of re-doing the three raised beds
in our front yard, two of which were overrun with
Bermuda grass. My wife and I are in a bit of a
disagreement about how to mitigate the Bermuda grass
in the future.

She wants to line the bottom of the beds with
weed block cloth to keep out the Bermuda grass.
I'm afraid that doing that would inhibit the
iris in their search for nutrients, since they
wouldn't be able to access the dirt under the
beds (pretty poor soil anyway, which is why we
have the raised beds in the first place -
our house is very near the historic shoreline
of San Francisco Bay and our dirt is mostly sand).

What do folks think - is weed block cloth a good idea?
Will it even keep out the Bermuda grass anyway?
Is it better to give the iris access to the underlying dirt,
or just add extra amendments & fertilizer to the
raised bed soil, essentially making the beds into
giant pots?

Jean
SF bay area, zone 9, and very summerlike today