Re: CULT: Weed block cloth in raised beds?

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Weed block cloth in raised beds?
  • From: SDAyres2@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 00:20:12 EDT

Jean:

I don't know if the Bermuda Grass in San Francisco Bay is the same in New
Mexico, but Bermuda Grass will grow through landscape fabric in New  Mexico.
 It won't grow through solid plastic but then how would you drain  your
beds?  My flower beds are not above-ground.  It took me two  years, to clean
the Bermuda out of my new flower beds.  I then lined the  sides with aluminum
flashing going down at least 8-10 inches to prevent  the underground
runners from gaining a foothold.  I then use a  shovel and occasional use of
roundup to keep the Bermuda about a foot away  from the flashing and the beds.
Of course, a concrete barrier would  be better but that is more expensive
and would involve a lot of  work.   Aluminum flashing is continuous and
provides no crevices for  the Bermuda to grow through.

I would think your Bermuda grass could still go under whatever you use to
line your above-ground beds (unless it went deep and was unbroken).    You
will need to keep the Bermuda from reaching the sides of your raised  beds.
I know of one woman who makes her renters sign a piece of paper that  they
won't plant Bermuda Grass on the property!   However, this is NM  Bermuda
Grass.  The rest of the country may be different.

Good Luck

Scarlett

In a message dated 8/10/2009 5:41:25 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,