Re: CULT: Weed block cloth in raised beds?

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Weed block cloth in raised beds?
  • From: Jean Richter <richter@eecs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:09:14 -0700

Sounds like New Mexico Bermuda grass is pretty similar
to our Bermuda grass in its tenacity.

Thanks to you, Leslie, and Dana for your suggestions.
I'm not willing to use weed killing chemicals in our
garden (though I did finally start using pre-emergent
a few years ago - too bad it doesn't work on Bermuda grass!),
so I guess I'll try some more serious barriers instead.

Thanks,

Jean
SF bay area, zone 9, where the fog has returned

SDAyres2@aol.com wrote:
Jean:
I don't know if the Bermuda Grass in San Francisco Bay is the same in New Mexico, but Bermuda Grass will grow through landscape fabric in New Mexico. It won't grow through solid plastic but then how would you drain your beds? My flower beds are not above-ground. It took me two years, to clean the Bermuda out of my new flower beds. I then lined the sides with aluminum flashing going down at least 8-10 inches to prevent the underground runners from gaining a foothold. I then use a shovel and occasional use of roundup to keep the Bermuda about a foot away from the flashing and the beds. Of course, a concrete barrier would be better but that is more expensive and would involve a lot of work. Aluminum flashing is continuous and provides no crevices for the Bermuda to grow through. I would think your Bermuda grass could still go under whatever you use to line your above-ground beds (unless it went deep and was unbroken). You will need to keep the Bermuda from reaching the sides of your raised beds. I know of one woman who makes her renters sign a piece of paper that they won't plant Bermuda Grass on the property! However, this is NM Bermuda Grass. The rest of the country may be different. Good Luck Scarlett