HYB: Harvest of Memories genetics

  • Subject: HYB: Harvest of Memories genetics
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:13:11 -0400

I wouldn't judge type of rebloom right now.

So far this year I have had 4 SDB bolom, that have not seen a winter. They were grown under lights during winter.

I'm thinking that there is a fourth type of rebloom. This is Facilitative bloom. May not necesaarily be rebloom.

To back up a few steps, there are two types of bloom triggered by vernalization. The one is called "Obligate" vernalization. This type of plant must have vernalization in order to bloom. Obligate = obligatory The other type is called "Facilitative" This is where vernalization facilitates bloom. So when plant has under gone vernaliztion it blooms in spring. When it doesn't get vernaliation, it will bloom later in growing season, usually after getting a period of warm weather as a mature plant. Thus vernalization "facilitites" bloom.

Thus these plants can bloom without having gone through vernaliztion. I suspect that some late Season "rebloomers" in California may be of this type. As are these seedlings that bloomed without having experienced a winter.

I don't know what genetics of this is, but I'm marking all seedlings blooming this way so I can cross them to evaluate genetic composition and interaction. I suspect that by the time winter comes I will have marked a fair number of them. They are now popping up every few days.

Some of my seedlings doing this have rebloom genes, some don't. But since over half of this bunch of seedlings have rebloom genes, it may or not be relevant. I'm suspecting it may not be relevant. I have gotten this from plants with no rebloom genes and have had it reported to me by other s from plants with no rebloom genetics.

PS I send some plants to you in mail this am. Expect them early this week. Mon or Tues. Let me know when they have arrived.

pps: A proffesor at a university has read my articles on rebolom triggers and will be doing some controlled studies based on them.

Chuck Chapman