Re: Germination (was digest on photos)

  • Subject: Re: Germination (was digest on photos)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 06:09:59 -0400

That's the experiment I did. It's in the archives. As I recall, I toilet tank soaked them for ten days before burrito'ing.

<The test that would work is using same
crosses (or species seed) do soaking and rinsing, and then have one
batch chilled for two months and one batch chilled for three months.>

But that was just for a minimal number of crosses - given the diversity of the gene pool with bearded irises, my best guess (based on what I've seen in my own crosses) is that it varies a lot.

Part of the reason I started burrito'ing longer than 2 months was because of the comment several folks had made about seeing seeds germinate in the fridge, something I had <not> seen. Earliest I've seen seeds germinate in the fridge is 3 months.

I quit pre-soaking because it's less trouble to soak/rinse after planting & I'm getting such good germination now (relative to what I was getting with presoaking and just two months of chilling, 80% or more in some) that it was clearly an un-necessary bit of fussing around. Plus I do see seeds germinating in the fridge without it. Mold may break down the germination inhibitors as well as or better? than soaking.

Keep in mind that the cultivars that are fertile here are those that can tolerate highly erratic weather (i.e., late spring freezes, warm mid winter spells followed by freezing, no snow cover), something I think you've said you don't have, Chuck. Or less so than here.

I don't have access to the literature like you do, Chuck, but did do a lot of experimenting, starting from to experiences others posted to come up with something that works for me.

But you convinced me to try sphagnum moss, &, thanks to late freeze, few enough pods that I went ahead and shelled them only a few weeks after putting them in the fridge. If I get better germination than in the past, I'll let you know ;-)

Research is a whole lot more fun when theory doesn't match data.  ;-)

Theoretically, are there additional chemical germination inhibitors other than those broken down by chilling and those that are water soluble? I.e., those that just break down with time, wet or dry, cool or warm? I dont' remember reading about anything like that.

From what was posted earlier, pinks and plics need less chilling than others. Whatever that means!

<The test that would work is using same
crosses (or species seed) do soaking and rinsing, and then have one
batch chilled for two months and one batch chilled for three months.>

Probably waay more than you <ever> wanted to hear, Patti! ;-)

Linda Mann
TN