OT: Weather

  • Subject: OT: Weather
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:22:52 -0400

Planting plans were washed out today, literally.  Tropical storm Danny has
been lashing the area since mid-morning.  Parts of the neighborhood are
flooded where I've never seen standing water before, and one had to be careful
driving.  Power was out for an hour or so.  My raised beds have handled it
nicely, but water coursing along the relatively level mulched aisles between
the beds washed out newly-placed landscape timbers along the driveway.  (So
much for the expense of that job!)  Some areas are reported to have received
an inch of rain in 5 minutes.

Nonetheless, have been able to get out and dig some orders between the bands
of the storm, and am current with all.   I think it's going to be a slow
drying process, though.

I think this is going to be a record year for rainfall here.  Given the amount
of rain, I thought we might see some mid-summer rebloom here, but it didn't
happen.  As I mentioned a day or so ago, Over and Over is blooming, but that's
it, so far.  My own rebloomers, thus far, are all late fall critters, though
some have repeated right after bloom season, on occasion.

Although rebloomers are reputed to like extra watering, I think its beneficial
effects may have been cancelled out by the many days without sunlight during
regular bloom season.  --  Griff

Griffin's Den