RE: CULT: iris borer pupae

  • To: <iris-talk@onelist.com>
  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] CULT: iris borer pupae
  • From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 06:23:13 -0400

Yes, this is an important part of the preventative measures. It would definitely be good to remove any of these that are in the soil of the bed you dug. Noting the location you live (upper New York state) it is probable that the borers had not reached that stage of the life cycle at the time of your dig. (a high percentage if not all would have been still in the rhizomes)
... sift through the soil for any though just in case. They would be shiny chesnut brown in color, approx 1/2 to 3/4 inches in length, pointed ends. Normally in undisturbed soil they would be found in the first couple of inches but as you dug the bed they may now be deeper.
Good hunting.

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI
Director-Canadian Iris Society
Newsletter Editor-Canadian Iris Society
E-mail:  cris@netcom.ca
CIS website:  http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/CIS.html
Siberian-Species Convention 2003 website: