Re: louisiana iris

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Dennis Kramb wrote:

> ....  I tried keeping some Louisiana Irises in containers
> (above ground) during this past winter.  75% of them died.  And only 50% of
> the survivors bloomed.
>
> .... but I think my "container
> experiment" pretty much demonstrates that most Louisianas can't tolerate
> their roots/rhizomes getting as cold as 10 degrees F during winter.

Is it possible that the potted iris went through a lot more freeze-thaw
cycles than those in the ground? Like daily for a while or two?

Very low temperatures tend to be MUCH less harmful to irises than
freeze-thaw. I would tend to think that just about everything in an iris
would be frozen at 20 deg F, although salty enough water can remain
liquid down to 0.

Of course, that's all academic here in sunny Los Angeles.

Gerry, in the process of turning a jungle of weeds into a mere
rainforest

ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
For details and to order, go to:
http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html