Re: Re: OT: Weather/Drought watering

From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>

Jan,
	This is a long story, so if you aren't interested, delete now.
	Back in 1990 we had a really bad drought here in Lubbock and many of
the wells went dry.  Although, we were very lucky and our well held out
I felt guilty watering flowers when my neighbors had no water, so we
used gray water.  I collected all of the water that normally flows down
the drain in the bathtub while you wait for the hot water to get to
you.  I also saved rinse water from the dishes and water from the
washer.  The iris did not get any of this precious water as they will
survive, if not thrive, without it.  I did water 75 roses, and half a
dozen trees in the yard with it though.  The lived through the drought
and if they didn't have a great year they didn't die either.  The point
of this is that we had no problem with soap residue.  Over half of our
water did come from the bathtub warm up waiting time so it had no soap
in it and that may make a difference.  I was very careful to alternate
the water with soap and the water without soap as I watered hoping to
water down any residues there might be.  The short end to this long
story is that with care this type of watering will keep you going
through a drought period.
--
mailto:ddbro@llano.net
Dana Brown

You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
Drawing is held each week through August 20.  For details, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html